Name:
Location: Monticello, Minnesota, United States

Wildwood Float Trips and Outfiiters LLC offers guided fishing and grouse hunting trips throughout the Upper Midwest. We specialize in Western Style Float Trips for Smallmouth Bass.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Southwest Wisconsin Weekend 4/28-30


I thought that I would get one last weekend of fishing before the early season was over. This is my annual trip to the coulee region before my season really starts to ramp up. Despite some rain it was a great weekend. I decided before I left that I was going to experiment on this trip. I decided that I would tie up some smaller versions of some of my smallmouth streamer patterns and give them a whirl. If you have have fished with me in the past you know how I love that white streamer pattern that will remain nameless. Friday night I started out throwing that and immediately started moving fish. The catch rate was low but I really had some big fish take a swipe at it. My eyes were opened to this pattern. I have never really thrown streamers that much. I called it smallmouth fishing for trout. That's how I approached it and boy did it work. Saturday I continued this game and was rewarded with a large brook. Saturday evening the rain finally showed up. I did manage to do some dry fly fishing with limited success. Sunday was gray and drizzly. The waters were a bit off colored but very fishable. I had lost all my white streamers on Saturday so I found a rubber legged bugger and decided to try that. The first hole that I fished I almost had my rod ripped out of my hand. I continued to throw that bugger all day and never lost it. Biggest fish of the day was a beautiful 18" brown. I'm going back in two weeks it was so much fun. If your looking for a great place to stay right on Coon Creek I can't recommend Rogers' Cottage enough. What a great place to stay at a very reasonable rate. I have already booked a cabin for Mother's Day weekend. His web address is www.rogerscottage.com check it out you wont be disappointed. Bill is as good as they come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home